I was very happy to join one of my favourites companies in the world. I enjoyed their games, so I was very excited to get the opportunity to work and learn from the people that make some of the best mobile games of the latest years.
I worked for about a year in unreleased prototypes, but most of my time I have been working in Hay Day. We are a small team and I have touched many parts of the game, but between my big contributions are:
- Created the systems to support Custom Decorations and the customizations for Maggie the Builder
- Built the rendering engine for The Valley and the tooling for map creation
- I improved the Booster system to support more types of boosters in different game modes (Town and Fishing area)
- Worked with artists in big UI reworks: Neighborhood, Shop
- I have done lots of work to support live ops integrating our internal tool in the game
- Integrated with many third-party SDKs like Unity Ads, Adjust and Samsung IAP
Remedy Digital Team (2014-2015)
After 7 years in Digital Legends I wanted to do something different and I came to Remedy to work on an unannounced iOS title. In this project I set up the UI pipeline using Unity and NGUI and worked on some of the gameplay systems.
Digital Legends – Karisma (2009-2014)
After a couple of projects, the company figured that the work I was doing made more sense as part of the engine team, so they moved me there to keep working on the GUI and system-level parts of the engine. As a bonus task, I used to decide which Spanish rock musician we use to codename each version.
During that time I worked on the following titles. In some titles I helped with some game features or we added big features as requested, while in others only minor bugs or changes were needed.
The Respawnables (2012) (iPhone/iPad, Android)
- We invested time building an editor to make creating the UI layouts easier. This allowed to offload that work to the UI artist, freeing up a lot of programmer time.
- I added support to keyframe animation in the UI to tighten the animation to the new standards on the App Store.
- Added support to Xcode project generation in our code build to manage one button builds on iOS without having to submit projects to source control.
- Created the downloader that gets the list of asset packages in Internet and gets the new ones.
- I refactored the IAP code to support receipt validation and use the newer version of the API (iOS, Google Play).
miCoach Soccer (2011) (iPhone) and miCoach Basketball (2012) (iPhone)
- A big part of the project was the screens to see the data coming from the miCoach dongle. I added a lot of custom UI widgets for that screens: pie charts, swipe views, etc.
Icebreaker Hockey (2011) (iPhone, iPad, Android)
- I mostly had to do maintenance work on the iOS code and help with some device bugs.
- During this project I was able to answer a question on Stack Overflow about a particularly weird bug.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010) (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire)
- We used springs to resize the UI to different resolutions, but for this project we added a system that allow you to have “configurations” and have more precise control per-resolution.
- We supported Android for a while, but this project was the first that we released in Google Play.
Split/Second (2010) (iPhone, iPad)
- This was the second project developed with our GUI library so a lot of features were added during this project.
- After the iOS launch, we worked on a port for Samsung Bada that was a launch title for the first device with this OS (Samsung Wave).
Xtreme Ball (2010) (Imagination Technologies demo for MWC10) (iPhone, development boards)
- During this small project I set up the Linux build of the engine based on the N900 code that we developed for Kroll.
Bruce Lee: Dragon Warrior (2010) (iPhone, iPad, Bada, Android, Xperia Play)
- As Karisma lacked a GUI framework I integrated the one I developed for Dance Fabulous adapting it to the engine standards.
- Due to the target platform being the iPhone, I had to switch the input and the widgets from keyboard to work with touch.
- Worked on a motion graphics system for the cutscenes.
- After Google gave us a Nexus One during MWC, I did a very early Android port with one of the first NDK releases. This turned up into an opportunity to release for Xperia Play (and being featured in a Super Bowl ad).
Kroll (2008) (iPhone, Windows Mobile 6, Nokia N900, Bada)
- I worked on the N900 and bada ports of the game. The N900 (Maemo) port was the base for all Linux based platforms we ported Karisma too and allowed me to learn about optimizing battery usage.
Digital Legends – Dance Fabulous (2008-2009)
In this project we realized that we lacked a GUI framework so my main responsibility in this project was developing this library. I did most of the game UI screens, and worked on the client-side of the community features of the game. In this project we ported the game to S60 when Nokia discontinued N-Gage 2.0.
Digital Legends – ONE (N-Gage 2.0) (2006-2008)
I joined Digital Legends as a Gameplay Programmer, but as I was the most familiar with both Python and GCC-based toolchains I worked a lot on the build and the N-Gage platform and N-Gage Arena code. Also, I did some work porting the character customizer from Soccer Fury and coding some UI screens.